Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Spongy

Well, I checked out the backyard last night to see what was blooming there. To be honest, the soggy ground is quite off putting. But it had dried out slightly last night, so I wasn't squelching around. Of course, that also meant it was harder to pull weeds. Ah, the trade off.

At any rate, there are a few wildflowers blooming, including the periwinkle. It is allowed to stay in the difficult spot under the stairs, but the battle is joined when it ventures into the iris bed. The iris are doing well. I didn't spy any flower stalks, but it is still pretty early for that sort of thing. I did have to remove a couple weeds and adventurous grass plants from the iris bed. One more gardening chore that I am vastly out of shape for.

The hosta leaf buds are just waiting at the moment. They are above ground, but not really popping yet. They've been in a holding pattern for a few weeks, I guess a few more wouldn't hurt.

We have peony sightings! Two peonies survived my bungling! They also survived a heavily waterlogged winter! Yippee! I'll have to go clear the thin leaf cover tonight to see if there are any more that survived. But I have peonies!

I also still have a beebalm plant. But then it is related to mint, so that shouldn't be surprising. *wink*