Monday, September 04, 2006

Milkweed

When I went to Hershey Gardens, I came back with a pocket full of fluff and seeds clinging to the fluff. I did attempt to document the plant the seeds came off of, not that that is any indication of what they will look like. There were at least two types of milkweed in the gardens. The plant that I got the seeds from was Asclepias "Silky Gold". It probably was Tuberosa, since the sign had Milkweed/Butterflyweed listed as the common name.



I'm actually leaving the link for the bigger photo, in case you need a bigger one to go looking for the little nibbler in the middle left of the picture.

The other butterfly weed I spotted and photographed extensively, was orange, but there weren't any signs identifying it. There were a lot of caterpillars on that one. And even a shriveled up used crysalis. I'll get them uploaded in a day or two.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, I'm so jealous! I have some milkweeds (winter-sowed them this spring) but no caterpillars on mine. *insert sigh here*