Saturday, September 02, 2006

Eh for Ernesto

Ernesto isn't quite gone from the area, but he is over enough for a summary. He performed admirally. A good soaker rain that didn't cause too much flooding. That's because, although it was a steady rain, it was a light rain. Only 3" in the bucket over 28 hours. And it is only misting now.

Winds never got too hectic. Just a couple of good gusts. Not that I didn't fret about my siding most of the night. Although, the neighbor's tree kept making sounds on my gutter that in my mind approximated siding being ripped off. They really need to have that tree trimmed.

I don't know what would have happened if the winds had picked up. I had brought in all the stuff from my porch, since I didn't want my plants battered, but most of my neighbor's left all their junk piled out there. And they have a lot more junk and window boxes out than I do. There was a wind advisory for winds between 40 - 75 mph. Fortunately, that was just tree height gusts, but still. We lucked out, in that respect.

And my power stayed on all night! Wow! Not that there aren't enough people without power in the region today, but not even a flicker here! But then, that shouldn't be too, too amazing. I don't think I saw flash of lightning, let alone the crash of thunder the entire time. Just sedate rainclouds, not thunderstorms. And that rain back in June kept the trees from being too stressed out from the drought.

All in all, just what my garden needed.