Wednesday, April 19, 2006

A Little of This, a Little of That

Last night I got around to trimming the hydrangea. There were quite a few dead limbs that I wanted to cut out before it completely leafed out. The dead limbs were all dry and strawlike. I'm going to use a few for staking up seedlings. While I was out front, I thinned out the holly some. The flowers seem to have finished blooming and are setting up the berries.

I also played in the dirt and made a mess. I potted up my one really lanky sunflower seedling. I used a really tall Crystal Light container, because I needed to "shrink" the stem a bit. Even then, it still needed a hydrangea limb for support. My nasturtiums are also going gangbusters. I put three in a pot that will go into the turtle aquarium. The pot is a little crowded, but it is more to protect the plants from the turtles, than to contain soil. There are huge holes for the roots to protrude from into the general soil of the aquarium.

In other news, Ursula Vernon's webcomic Digger is up for an Eisner. In celebration of this event, the archives (which are normally only available by subscription) are free for a limited time. The current page is always free. Wombats are cool. Edit: Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the server can handle the load of Digger fans. Fortunately, the archives will be free for several weeks at least.