Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Lucky Bugs

I have a ladybug hibernating in my house. I think it's just one, and I think it's still here. I saw it a couple weeks ago. I don't have a problem with it being here.

I like ladybugs. I grew up during the first Strawberry Shortcake craze and adored her companion Lucky. As a result, I've always seen ladybugs as a lucky symbol and liked it when I found them. I especially liked it when I found out that they ate aphids. That feeling swelled after I had the misfortune of having to park my car next to a bush infested with aphids. The "honey dew" was annoying and didn't come off.

The site Luring Ladybugs to Your Garden has several good tips on ladybugs. Everyone knows they eat aphids, but who knew that they needed pollen too! And finally, dandelions have a purpose -- feeding ladybugs! They like the pollen of dandelions, along with cosmos (especially the white ones), coreopsis, and scented geraniums. They are also attracted to umbrella shaped flowers such as fennel, dill, cilantro, caraway, angelica, tansy, wild carrot and yarrow.

Now, my little ladybug is one of the Asian varieties, since it is orange and in the house. The native ladybugs are well behaved and go find a nice spot in the forest to hibernate. The Asian ladybugs like to congregate in huge swarms and hibernate in light colored cliffs. Now, Maryland lacks light colored cliffs, so Asian ladybugs make due with the next best thing, light colored houses. There were a few swarming around the house this fall, but not a mulititude. When I was in college, I saw a whole lot more on red brick buildings, and some anecdotes tell of not being able to see the house for the ladybugs! That is a bit excessive. The Ohio State University has a fact sheet on Asian ladybugs. Including pictures, so you can see what ladybug larva look like. It also tells of how to eliminate a ladybug infestation.

But I think I'll let my ladybug alone. "She" seemed quite friendly and didn't squirt red "blood" when I handled her. Although, she didn't seem inclined to fly away, I had to place her on my snake plant, so I could get back to quilting.

Edit to add this link to an article about British ladybugs in danger.