Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Treats Galore!

First off, yes, the pep talk worked. I hauled two loads of mulch and picked up two free composting bins. Peonies also arrived. The one I peaked at had 6, possibly 7 eyes. :)

But today, we focus on the Halloween summary.

First thing, buy more candy next year. This was the first time in this neighborhood, so I wasn't sure of the amount I'd need. I guessed 3 bags with a reserve bag would see me through. WRONG! I was dipping into the reserve bag fairly early. And I actually had to tap my stash! Well, the stash I feed my friends. My stash is one pound bags of M&Ms. No sharing there! So, next year, 6-7 bags minimum.

Second, the trend was either to take orange and red colored candy wrappers, or take unusual candies. The Fast Breaks and Take 5s vanished, but two Butterfingers survived. I also need to remember to pick up non-chocolate, non-nut candies for variety.

Third, they started at 5:30, just after it got dark. Granted, I put the glow stick out and turned on the light at 5:15. But, I was answering the door, while trying to make dinner. So, I need to eat earlier next year, and not make an involved dinner, either. The last kid came right at 8:00. I didn't take down the glow stick until 8:15.

Fourth, I need to figure out something better with lighting. My porch light is either off, or motion sensative. There is no permanently on. I compensated by hanging a two year old glow stick from it. I'll need to come up with something flashier for next year. Possibly a string of glow lights hanging from the porch roof.

Halloween was a success. Especially since Mother Nature provided us with a treat of a gorgeous 70 degree afternoon, only sinking into the upper 50s by 8 pm. (This is also part of the reason why I managed to do all that mulch hauling.) Edit: It is also the wettest October on record with 9.41".

And in parting, my maize.