Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Indian Summer Fun

Well, I might not have gotten frost yet, but the region has had frost. So, I feel perfectly justified in calling nice warm spell an Indian Summer. It has been beautiful. Just the kick in the pants to put the final touches on the garden before winter. If it didn't get dark so blasted early.

Anyway, Monday was gorgeous and I changed into a T-shirt and jeans after getting off work early and headed to the county yard for mulch. I remember why I was procrastinating. Somewhere along the line, I lost a ton of muscle tone. It is especially telling in my abs and hips. Oh, it hurt hauling mulch.



My yard bins are only half size, but you actually have to carry the things. (Not that wheeled bins actually roll.) And the easiest path to my back yard is through the house. But the mulch is damp and heavier than normal. And like I said, I'm so out of shape.

Two trips to the yard did me in. Although, to be fair, the yard is in a mess of traffic and I wasn't going to brave afternoon rush hour to get a third, even if I was in shape.

I did snag two free compost bins in my travels. I meant to set them up last night, but by the time I got done running errands I didn't run on Monday, it was too dark.



There's always tonight, if I don't do the peonies tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is it about losing muscle tone? I have felt the same way this week. With the lovely Indian Summer I have been lifting & toting & raking, spreading mulch, etc & today I ache all over. Ouch! You are making true progress in your garden, I see! I like those free compost bins.

millionbells said...

I don't know, I just don't know. I just haven't hauled anything like that in ages.