Friday, November 18, 2005

Spiders and Things

It is not that I hate spiders, or am afraid of them. I just don't like when they invade my personal space. Like crawling on me or my bed or my quilts. I am quite happy about the one that took up residence on my yellow lantana and is getting rid of the white fly problem I had.

That said, I am afraid of spider bites. And not just of the deadly kinds, like black widows. Nor just the painful ones, like brown recluses. I am afraid of common ordinary bites. Why? Because the one spider bite I got was horribly itchy. Worse than any mosquito bite I'd ever had. And persistantly itchy for days. I got it because a spider decided to hide in a slipper, and the spider was upset that I decided to use said slipper. It's a shame really, I liked those slippers and now I have to wear socks when putting them on.

But I like having spiders in my garden. I like that they eat bugs I'd rather not have in my garden. And it appears that I have a healthy population of them in my garden. But, that does make me all nervy about reaching my hands into plants that have a lot of spiders protecting them. Which is the main reason I bought gardening gloves. That way if I disturbed a spider, it couldn't bite me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a love/hate relationship with spiders. They are friends in the garden, but I don't like them to invade my space either. And I do fear the brown recluse who I hope I never meet. I was bitten by a spider yesterday and it does itch & itch. On the other hand, they are wonderful managing insects in the garden & plants.