Monday, November 21, 2005

The Nose Knows

I happen to think that a garden should be a five senses experience. Of course there are the pretty things to see, birds and rustling leaves to hear, soft petals and lush leaves to touch, vegetables and herbs to taste, and most of all, fragrant flowers to smell.

In fact, that is my favorite part of the garden, smelling the flowers. In fact, that is my favorite part of visiting rose gardens, smelling the roses. People who go with me, think that it is cute, until I get to the fifth bed, then they start to think it is a bit repetative. *chuckle* This is what made me fall in love with peonies, the way my entire house smelled of them, from just three cut flowers bought in the supermarket.

Which seriously makes me question this. This being six thousand curiosity seekers going to see a flower that smells like carrion. The titan arum, or corpse flower is considered a very gross flower. It is a carnivorous flower, and the whole purpose behind the scent is to attract carrion eating beetles to dine on, as they seek the rotting corpse to dine on.

I think this is one flower, I can live without smelling.

Edit to add non-registration required link.