Thursday, November 17, 2005

A Real Cold Front

I am glad I enjoyed the weather Tuesday night. That cold front roared through town, dropping temperatures 15 degrees over one hour! That's right, on one side, it was a balmy 73 degrees, on the back side, a chilly wet 56 degrees. And it continued to drop! In the 30s this morning and only going up to 47 today! Eek! At least the threat of snow on Sunday keeps being downgraded.

All this cold has me thinking about gloves. My leather driving gloves specifically. They are pretty thin when the weather really drops. But after reading all the posts about gardening gloves and support, I'm considering looking into getting a nice lined pair of high end gloves. That walk from the parking lot into work at 6am is brutal.

Not to mention scraping ice off of my car or shoveling snow. I need a good work glove for those chores. My only reservation is the shape of my hands. I've got long fat fingers, especially for a woman. Nine, nine and half ring size depending on the finger. My thumbs are skinnier than my fingers. I certainly don't want to order expensive gloves, then have to return them repeatedly to find a size that fits. I'll have to think on that.

In the meantime, a picture of my gardening gloves. They are goatskin leather from Home Depot. I don't like the cuffs, but what fits, fits. And they fit well. Emptying out the mower bag is the cause of the stain on the fingers. Good honest grass. I prefer to dig with bare hands. It's fun to wriggle my fingers in the soil.



Yesterday's precipitation: periods of heavy rain -- 1"

2 comments:

Kasmira said...

I only wear gloves in the garden when I'm pruning the rose bushes (i.e. once a year). In the summer, I have perpetually dirty fingernails and ragged cuticles. My toes don't look much better, as I garden in flip flops.

millionbells said...

I'm gifted with good nails, even when I abuse them, my nails don't get raggy. So, that's never really been an issue. And with the amount of dirt caked under them, they tend not to get stressed. :)