Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Leafy Frolic

Yesterday was a gift day. A beautiful partial sunny warm day, before an awful mess. That storm system that produced multiple tornadoes in the Mid-West is arriving today bearing artic air.

So, last night, I got out and enjoyed my yard. I cut down one of the hostas, and discovered two iris that were hiding in it. I moved them and spread mulch. I ran short of mulch, so I didn't chop down the other one. Then, I raked the front yard. I got two yard bin's worth of leaves, that went into the composting bin. It's still not full! Which is good, the wind overnight knocked down even more leaves! But I'm not discouraged, I wanted to tuck those leaves into the compost bin before the rain started and made it a sloppy mess.

And for my final trick, I joined the ranks of the leaf filchers. That pretty maple tree that I had photographed earlier has a pile of leaves underneath it. The neighborhood kids piled it up to jump in, but it's been pretty flat looking for over a week. Last night I walked over and filled my yard bin. Two bins' worth thickly covered a 3' x 6' area that will become my birdbath garden. Hopefully the leaves won't blow around too much. I'll probably get more later to add to the pile.

1 comment:

Kasmira said...

On trash night, I make my husband patrol the neighborhood and drag home the bags of leaves. He's such a good sport!

I don't know if this will work, but I'm smothering a portion of the lawn with leaves for a shrub border. The funny thing about leaves, though, is you need more than you thought you'd need - especially after they start breaking down. So far, I've got the leaves from 5 neighbor's yards in my beds. I'll be scouting for more on Friday night. :)