Thursday, November 10, 2005

Harsh Wind

It feels like March this morning. Wind speeds in the 20s, gusting into the 30s. And the temperature is just slightly crisp in the mid-60s. The leaves are swirling all around. This is a good thing. Why would all the leaves falling off of the trees today be a good thing? Because my plan for celebrating Veteran's Day was to rake up leaves in my yard and dump them into the compost bin, after running them through the lawnmower for chopping.

However, if most of the little willowy-type leaves fall off of my neighbors' big tree, I can just run the lawnmower for one last time this season and chop them up while picking them up. Bagging mowers are the best! Even if the bag on mine is tiny. It will still do the job.

I will have to have one of my yard bins to empty the bagger into. I'm certain all those leaves will fill it up quite a few times. It will also fill up my compost bin nicely. Leaves are the perfect composting material. You don't have to mix it with anything. And it is nice crunchy "brown" material for composting with "green" material as well. Like the hostas. Which is something else I was planning to do. I still need to chop down the other hosta bed and mulch it.

But that will also require another trip to get mulch. Fortunately, the yard is apparently open on Veteren's Day. And if it isn't, I just get it on Saturday. That is if I have enough energy to get it after cleaning up my leaves. I'll probably have to rake what the lawnmower misses, but that is okay. I'll have to gather up the leaves from my deck too.

What a fall treat! And it will be cool enough tomorrow not to be all sweaty!