Friday, November 11, 2005

Yard Cleaning

Last night, I was a good girl and swept the back porch. The willow-type tree in the neighbors' front yard deposited a lot of leaves. Some of them wedged into the deck itself, but most were willing to be placed in my yard waste bin. Then, I swept up the porch under the deck. All of the leaves then got run over by the lawnmower. I need to remember to wear my safety glasses when I do stupid stuff like that. More to keep the dust out of my eyes. But you never know when a twig or an undiscovered rock is going to go flying when you lift up the lawnmower to get at the top of the pile again.

This morning, I tackled the front yard. A lot of leaves there. Mostly the affore mentioned willow-types, but some from the dogwood on the other side. And a few adventurous maple leaves that were blown around the neighborhood. I only got three columns (curb to garden passes) before I had to empty the bagger. That is a lot of leaves. I actually filled the yard bin three times. Fortunately, the leaves are light and fluffy at this point, so it was easy to lug them to the compost pile. The last load I actually scooped up some leaves from the "gutter". I think I managed to keep the cigarette butts out. (The neighbors on both sides smoke.)

There are still plenty of leaves on the trees, so any more leaves in the front yard will have to be raked up. But that's good, my compost pile is only half full.

This morning was the first frost, that I witnessed. The grass in the yard wasn't white, but the areas beyond were. Brrr.

2 comments:

ms_lili said...

Just wanted to say hello and that I really like the look and content of your blog. I did a blog search last night with "peonies" and yours came up. I'm putting a link to your blog on mine. Let me know if it's not ok and I will remove it.

rgds,
lisa

millionbells said...

Thanks! And go ahead and link. I don't stand on ceremony about such things.