Friday, November 04, 2005

Growing the Wish List

Years ago, I used to dig through my mom's plant catalogs and plan out what I would put in my yard. This was very one sided, because she didn't get that big a selection of catalogs. And I was planning a shade garden for under all the trees I wanted.

The first thing I did once I finished moving in to my Little Blue House was to sign up to every plant catalog I could find. I took a couple weeks for them to start trickling in. They didn't come fast enough!

It is rough. Paging through catalogs and seeing all the spectacular plants and flowers and having a tiny little back yard. There isn't enough room to plant it all! And that's neglecting all the peonies I want to plant!

Mail order catalogs and internet shopping are great for promoting variety in the garden. You aren't limited to the few mass "produced" plants found in every box store's garden section. And if you have a theme, it is easier to find plants that fit.

But woe to the wallet. The amount of lust and planning that these catalogs stir up. But we all need that one special plant. And maybe that one too....