Saturday, November 05, 2005

Hostas Corralled

I set out Thursday night in the dark to build my compost bin. I forgot that you need to unroll plastic and let it sit with weights on, before you can do anything with it. So, I left it out with my two yard bins on either end till Friday.



It went together remarkably easy. Just 4 screws and wing nuts to hold it together. And viola!



I left it a little oblong just for aesthetics. I didn't put up the other compost bin, because I've got a lot to fill in this one, before I can even think about switching off. Now, in that picture you can see what the near frost did to my hostas. So, I decided that the first thing to go in the compost bin would be hosta leaves. I also needed to take down the hostas to see what was underneath them. I found that the patch by the fence was mostly bare earth, but there were some brown rocks by the fence. I should see about removing them next year.



I got another load of mulch this morning to finish covering the cleared hosta bed. I didn't hit the other hosta bed yet. There is a lot of weeding to be done under those hostas. And some back filling where I took the iris out. Heck, there might still be some iris in there.



That will be some afternoon next week. Not only is it a gorgeous Indian summer with highs in the 70s for another week, but today is an outage to see the foliage with my friends!

1 comment:

Stuart said...

Great compost bin. It can be temporary plus it has airflow holes. Awesome idea.