Monday, October 03, 2005

Trends

I was the girl who would sit in the dirt to garden. Or lay down to get at dirt level. I'd dig and have a good time playing in the dirt. Mind, this was the garden I was allowed to play in. Later, I'd lay on a tarp to dig holes for pansies and the like.

I was the girl who would go out into the garden in a pretty yellow outfit and get it dirty. Then when my mom would yell at me for getting my pretty yellow outfit dirty, I would get up, go into the house, change and go back to playing in the garden. (Which is why they later convinced me that tarps were fun to sit/lay on while gardening.)

I was the girl who would go inside several times during gardening and clean up. I'd get my hands dirty, then go clean them, then feel like going out and getting them dirty again.

And today, I find myself sitting down on the ground to do any gardening. Only now, it's because I destroyed my knees in gym class, so that sitting is easier than kneeling or crouching.

And today, I find myself choosing old or less liked colored shirts to wear outside for gardening, first. Although, they tend to be light colored shirts, like beige or oatmeal.

And today, I still find myself washing my hands when I think I'm done with gardening to get the dirt and plant stains off. And then get lured back outside. I also find myself teasing bits of dirt and mulch out of my nails after I finish. Sometimes for days at a time. Even when I bother to wear my gloves.