Saturday, October 01, 2005

Tote That Mulch

So, I hauled enough mulch this morning to finish off the front beds. Not bad considering that only two little blue containers fit in my car at a time. I say little, in the way that they're half the size of a regular garbage can you put out to the curb. Then again, I can actually lift them and walk a distance when they're filled with wet grass, so I'm not sure what I'm complaining about, other than the size of my car.

Dry mulch on a dry day with dry sinuses is not fun either. I've got a ton of dust up my nose and no way to clear it out. No rain in the immediate forecast. Well, it will give me enough time to prep the back for the new beds, and trim the grass again. Too bad I pick up my new quilt frame from the UPS facility Monday afternoon. That will set me back even more.

But back to the front bed. It took a little bit of doing. I had to get around all those tall bushes, and under all those low growing, spreading plants. I didn't want to kill the ground cover just yet, so I pulled a few sprigs out from under the mulch. Mulching around the holly bush was definitely not fun. There are quite a few leaves with the normal holly sharpness on them.