Friday, September 30, 2005

At Least It's a Dry Cold....

We, and many surrounding regions, have been having a mini-drought. I say mini, because we had a nice wet start to summmer. However, with a disappointing cold front yesterday, we've gone on record as the DRIEST SEPTEMBER on Record. By about 3/100 of an inch, 2005 (.11") beat out 1884 (.14") as the record holder. That is one long record. I wish it had stood. I know a lot of farmers must have been praying that the record had been safe.

The culprit? From my view point, hurricanes. Yes, hurricanes. We usually get at least one hugging the coast or sailing up the mountains and showering rain on us in September. Or smacking us, like Isabel. But that's where our September rain comes from. Ophelia stayed out to sea and barely tickled us with feeder bands and Rita passed to our North to visit New York. Beautiful weather but dry.

And on top of this dry weather, the heat has been turned on. Well, just enough to take the chill off of getting up this morning. 46 degrees by the kitchen window thermometer. When I went out to put out the bird seed this morning, my breath curled around me in a white cloud. No frost, at least not when I drove to work.

Warned of this event by the trusty weathermen of WTOP, I brought my lantana in last night, after dead heading it. I also removed a few leaves that weren't looking to good. It will get trimmed back, when it is brought in for good. I'll probably start some cuttings from it too, for next Spring. I'll need to get some rooting compound.