Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The Plunge into Icy Waters

Well, I decided that October is getting pretty old, so I took the Peony Plunge. I ordered 6 unnamed peonies in a grab bag special from New Peony Farm. There are good reports on the Garden Web forums about it, so far. The New Peony farm has a money back guarantee, if what was sent isn't what you ordered, so these are probably just ones they can't "definitively" identify. You know how it goes, the tag gets smudged or lost. They always get smudged or lost. But the reports are fine healthy peony plants with up to 6 eyes. Those are nice plants from what I've gleaned in my reading. Quite a bargin.

That means I must get moving with the other half of the plan, which is getting a nice deep pot and soil to go in it. I'll have to convince one of my big strong friends to do a Home Depot run with me. They can carry that much dirt to the car and into the house....

Wilma is attacking the region after combining with Alpha and a low coming across from the interior. Unfortunately, the low is a cold low. Icy in fact. We're in the 40s. We're lucky. Up in the mountains of Maryland and West Virginia, they have their first snow fall. Brrrr! More rain through out the day. If it doesn't dry out this weekend, I'm hauling wet mulch. That's all there is too it.

I went around the neighborhood and took some more fall pictures last night. The maples are starting to go now. And the summac is almost done. I also tried to get some berry pictures. I think I'll spread them out a bit this time. So, I'll leave you with this picture of seed pods on a vine.




Yesterday's precipitation: late developing light rain -- 1.25"

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Good luck with the peonies. They sound like good divisions. Don't they have some gorgeous ones there. Ahhh to have lots of room and money!