Monday, October 24, 2005

What is Left?

So much of the time a plant is in a garden, it is not in bloom. So, you spend an awful lot of time looking at the plant, not the flower. So, it is important to pick plants that have interesting leaves. Something to admire when the flowers are gone. Or different plants with interesting foliage when the other plants no longer have their showy flowers.

Yes, you can spend your time rotating plants like those landscapers do, but that's expensive. Or you can stagger your displays. Which takes a lot of planning, and even then, weather and Mother Nature can foil your plans. But having leaves that put on a show of their own is quite lovely. Even outside of autumn.

One of the earlier plants I noticed, were Japanese maples. Then more recently, I started that long series of polka dot plants. And various foliage plants spotted in the grocery store that never made it into my cart. In fact, it was the leaves that caught my eye with nasturtium. Those cute little round leaves. And the variegation on some of varieties, very cute.

I like plants with interesting leaves. Something to look at before and after the flower. If I had more room (and more permanence), I'd be tucking lots of them into the garden. But I'm going to be lucky to have room for the plan as it is. And I don't dare plan bushes and shrubs and trees. But I'll remain vigilant for leaves with interesting shapes, or colorful variegation. That much I can do.

Edit: Saturday's precipitation: light rain tapering off -- 1/8"