Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Hebe

From the want list:

I just discovered this wonderful species this week. Sandy at My Garden posted a stunning picture of a maple leaf on Hebe buxifolia. I fell in love.

Hebe is a entire species of New Zealand native shrubs. And they all have adorable foliage and stunning floral displays. Digging around the Hebe Society's website displays the sheer variety of forms of this species.

It is available in the US and does well in this region. The only thing is it's shrub. I just can't find it in me to buy and plant shrubs while I'm renting. I'm not even that enthused about planting perenials, but must have peonies. Must have. *shifty eyes*

I'm trying not to put down firm roots in this place. I could be out on my rear at any point. I got scarred from the last place doing that. Not that my mobile childhood (because of my father's changing employment) gave me any great security. But that's probably why I crave it. This is the fourth place I've lived since I moved out of my parents home. I'd like to stay here for at least 5 years. Heck, I'd settle for 3 at this point.

But no, I think hebe will end up on my wish list for my house when I get around to being able to afford one. Along with all the other trees and bushes I crave.

For now, I'll make due with the shrubs already planted at The Little Blue House. Like my holly which has berries that are starting to turn red.




Yesterday's precipitation: chilly light rain -- 1.125"

5 comments:

Sandy said...

Hello! I love hebes too and they are always a big hit to visitors to my garden. They come in lots of different varieties and do very well in containers. Container gardening might be a way for you to go. Japanese maples etc do very well in containers and they can move with you! Something to think about.

millionbells said...

I'm definitely going to have containers. That's for certain. I just feel bad putting trees that need deep tap roots in itty bitty containers.

Besides, I'm not the most *cough* reliable waterer. And I discovered that I really need to be on the ball on that deck. Thankfully Lantana are forgiving.

Sandy said...

I know what you mean. Watering containers has never been a strong point for me.

Alice said...

I was going to suggest containers, too, although I know watering can be a chore. If you don't want to spend much money perhaps you could buy perennials in small pots from school and Church fetes, or from trash'n'treasure (not sure what they call them over there. Are they car-boot sales?) Perhaps even a notice at your local community centre or shops asking if people have cuttings or plants they no longer want. Quite large containers can be bought for next-to-nothing from recycling centres and you could start your trees in these. They would be alright for 2-3 years (depending on variety) and they would be ready for your very own garden.

Interesting to read your comments about Lantana. It is considered an environmental pest in Australia, particularly in Queensland where it has invaded and choked large areas of native bushland.

millionbells said...

I'm fortunate with lantana in that I live in a region with snow in the winter. Lantana does not like hard freezes. So, it's considered an "annual" around here.

And I am going to have annuals in pots around my deck railing. I don't feel as bad forgetting to water a plant that would die at the end of the planting season anyway.

Maybe I'll just not weed all those little maple seedlings....