Friday, October 21, 2005

Peony Lust

From the want list:

Peony lust is a relatively new thing. As in this summer. I was heavily feeling the lack of flowers over the winter in my old place. I was making up for that by buying cut flowers. In June, I picked up some peonies. They smelled heavenly. And I vowed there and then I needed some in my yard. Despite the ants.

But who wouldn't want the Queen of the Garden Flowers in which "Powerful forces reside in the blossom of a plant that glows in the dark on the night of a full moon. Seeds from certain Peonies emanate a pale light in the darkness. To contain that magic, the roots could only be dug during the night. If one were to disturb a Peony during daylight hours, Woodpeckers would appear and proceed to peck your eyes out."

However, there is one problem with this little obsession. Peonies need to be planted in the fall. To this end, they are only sold in the fall. Why is this a problem? One, I have to buy them now or wait for next year. Two, the bed I want to put them in is in the spot with the amphibian eggs. (Which were looking a little wilted on top last I checked.) Three, all existing beds are already full, or would need a ton of work.

Which leads me glumly to the concept of the great peony experiment. Why glumly? Because peonies are expensive and I dare not risk the peonies I want to such an experiment. Especially given the cost of the experiment. And peonies don't do as well when planted in spring. At least not that year.

So, the experiment, buy a grab bag of peonies. Buy a deep planter or tub. Buy enough decent soil (which will then be placed in the garden). Plant and overwinter in basement by sliding glass door for muted light and slight chill. In March, place entire contraption outside so peonies are subjected to the cold they need. Possibly in shed to protect from freezing. Plant when warm, and hope that they're not all early bloomers.

The question remains, do I go to extraordinary steps to have a chance of peonies next year, or do I just wait. *sigh* Any advice?

Edit:Yesterday's precipitation: scattered light rain -- trace

2 comments:

Sandy said...

I too suffer from peony envy. I have lots of them. You can plant peonies at any time of the year. If you are going to dig them up then do it in the fall. Peonies are actually usually sold in spring when they are in bloom. This is a good way to buy them to ensure they are what they say they are. I have alot of peonies that are not tagged correctly. If you want to buy them directly from a peony supplier they sell them in the fall because it is the best time to dig them up. Peonies love very cold weather. If you choose to plant them in containers I would leave them outside close to the house.

millionbells said...

Well, my main problem is that I know I'm not going to get the bed for the peonies done by first frost. It's low lying grass at the moment. Moving in August is so inconvinent, and I don't move fast enough.

I'll probably get some plants in the spring, too. It's just I'm going to be back in class in spring and I worry about time available.