Thursday, October 27, 2005

A Close One

Winter has already been threatening the region. Frigid temperatures. A brutal nor'easter feeding off of Wilma. SNOW in the mountains to the West. They got about a foot. Eek! Damp chilly, crank up the heater kind of weather. And temperatures in the 30s this morning. Time to break out the winter jacket. :(

Then to top off the growing sense of Doom (tm), there was a frost warning for this morning. A frost warning! My heater was running all night and my little nose was still cold sticking out of the covers. The trace rainfall on the feeder was iced over, but that was it. The rain bucket had liquid in it, and there was no frost on the grass. So no frost today. Lucky break.

There was, however, that annoying ice film on my car windows. You know the kind that you scrape and five seconds later, the film has reappeared already. *sigh* And I had to fish the emergency scraper out of the glove box. I'm going to have to dig out the other ice scraper from where ever I put it.

And to top all that off, I ran out of bird seed this morning. I've been running low all week, I had figured it was soon last week. But today, I emptied out the container, including the dust. I have to go grocery shopping anyway. Checking my records, I bought that bag on August 22nd. So, it does last. There were a couple missed days and a couple days that extra seed was put out.

I just get a premium songbird mix. I think that just means they put a little bit of sunflower seeds in with the nyger/thistle. There's some cracked corn and a couple other seeds too. It's the bargin basement stuff. The finches, chickadees and doves seem to like it. I never catch the blue jay at the feeder, but that might change as the weather gets colder.

And a photo of one of the maples in my neighborhood. They're really going to start turning after this cold snap.




Yesterday's precipitation: early and late sprinkles -- trace

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful maple! Today I first ran outside in a thick sweater but returned quickly for a coat. I notice my fingers getting cold at the steering wheel. You had the noreaster too. It clobbered us the other day. Keep warm!

millionbells said...

You keep warm too! I remember winters in New England. Brrrr.