Monday, September 26, 2005

Seeds and Monsters

I used to think starting seeds in the house was a little silly. Primarily, I viewed it as a way to start gardening a couple weeks early. There was also the idea of spacing plants more easily and being better able to figure out which plant you planted, and which was the weed. But I never figured I'd do it.

When I moved into the Little Blue House, I stood looking out back a lot. I noticed a sizable flock of little brown birds. So, I got a cheap ceramic plate from the grocery store and some bird seed and started to encourage them by feeding them. Heels from loaves of bread also find their way out there. They're cute, they're adorable. They're seed eating monsters.

Now, I have a very definite reason to start my seeds in the house. Especially my sunflower seeds. I'm having horrifying visions of those voracious seed eaters raiding my freshly planted gardens and eating all the seeds. Horrors!

So, I'm saving egg cartons and the like to give my poor little seedlings a head start. So maybe I can have some flowers.