Saturday, September 24, 2005

Mulch Accomplished

The sky is dreary and the air is damp. No water in the bottom of my improvised rain gauge, consisting of a pale green bathroom waste can. The radio says the next best chance of rain is Monday. It isn't fair. I don't like mini-droughts. Neither do my plants.

But the relative dryness did help in one way. I didn't have an excuse to delay going to the yard any more, so I trundled off to the transfer station with my half barrels of grass clippings and yard waste. The one I went to is too heavily used to find any goodies. Besides, there is a lot of other recycling and trash dumping at this one, so the yard staff stay busy keeping up with everything, including the chipping of yardwaste. Not to mention, Fridays are yard waste pick up, so they would have done a lot of that yesterday and earlier this morning.

So, I dropped my stuff and went over to the giant pile of mulch. The mulch was corse and primarily from tree trimmings. Lots of two and three inch long branches about an inch in diameter. I threw a bunch of those out of my containers, as well as some trash that got into the pile. I also found parts of glass bottles which I threw to the side. Some people. It was still pretty good mulch, and this would be great bedding mulch once it was sifted. I could sift it, then take the big stuff back on my way to pick up another load. Catch at the moment being that I don't have a sifter. I guess that's something else for the Christmas list.

After returning with my two containers of mulch, I proceded to mulch my poor hydrangea, who is looking better for the trim. I'd just like to shape it next summer. And I started filling in around the holly and the other plants. Didn't get too far on the other front garden, but I can do more next weekend.