Thursday, September 29, 2005

Do Not Trim on the Left Side

Just after I moved in, the woman at the management company called. She had gotten a confusing email from the owner instructing me, that when I mow the lawn, I was not to trim too close to the property line on the left side. This confused both myself and the woman at the management company. It seemed odd, and we chalked it up to fussy neighbors. So, I was careful when I cut the front yard to stay to my side of the property line. It was easy, since they cut their lawn a couple days earlier and that side of the front lawn wasn't completely dead.

Tuesday night when I was doing all that trimming, I attacked a couple of the dandelions that were edging the fence in the backyard with the trimmers. That's when I discovered it. A cable. Now, realistically, I knew there was a satellite dish on my shed. I mean you can see the annoying thing.



Along with it's twin off of the porch.



They are annoying. But I never imagined that there would be a cable running along the ground. Ugh. (I'm not sure why, the wiring in the house is slap dash, too.) So, that means that I can't use a weed wacker to get the long grass and dandelions along that fence. I had wondered at those old growth dandelions. Humongous! I didn't check the other side, but there isn't a satellite dish on that side.

So, what to do, what to do? Well, put in edging plants. Ones that presumably won't spread to the neighbor's yard. Which means no ground covers. Well, my dad's real keen on what he calls lily tufts. And he has to divide his. His intention was to give me a bunch. They didn't really fit my theme, but they'll do great there to create a little bed. And I won't have to raise dandelions. ;)