Wednesday, February 14, 2007

At What Point

So, I'm sitting at home, burning my vacation leave, because despite heavy icing and uncleared roads other than the interstates, the federal government continued its masichistic policy of not telling people to stay home and stay safe. I realize that the DC metro region is huge and generally weather is different at one end than the other. But given that a lot of feds come down out of West Virginia, you'd think they were a little more cautious. I'm not a fed, but our boss doesn't close the office and give us paid time off, unless the feds call it.

Anyway, on to the storm report. What was supposed to be a big snow event fizzled, since the temperatures aloft were too warm. So, we got about an inch of snow here, then some freezing drizzle with the first storm through the area. The second storm arrived with ice pellets pinging off my screens over night. I'd say about on inch of ice pellets out there. Still, that's not as bad as the sleet, so I'll take my blessings. Even if I do have to go out and shovel.

A snow plow with a landscape contractor just went past, the first snow plow through the development. Not that it helps people who went out yesterday and are now parked on ice. Neighbor with one of those big fancy trucks is out there spinning his tires right now. At least, I can push my little car past those spots if I had to. I can drive in snow. I even trust the idiots around here to manage well enough in snow. But ice is a time to stay in.

1 comment:

Carol Michel said...

I agree, I can do snow. Ice is hard for anyone to drive on!