Monday, January 09, 2006

Startling January

Well, it seems like the cherry blossoms weren't entirely wrong. After a weekend cold snap, we're flirting with 60 degrees today. Might make it too, the forecast is for 59. And this trend continues throughout the entire week! And lest we think this is a current trend, the record set back in 1932 was 75, 76 and 77. Yikes!

In other startling news, I am eating vegetables. Not only am I eating them, I am cooking them! This might not seem like much, but seeing as how I've maintained for years that the only healthy green food is green icing, it's a radical shift for me.

It traces back to a particularly strung out weekend in August. It was early August, I had just completed a miserable evening class, and still had not found a place to live after August 31. Worse, with my impending eviction because I didn't want to buy the cheap place I was living in, I couldn't even find something worth looking at! So, my buddy googled a lot of places and drove down to take me to dinner, then to go looking at a few. However, he didn't email the list, so he forced me to google a few. And I found my Little Blue House! But before we drove over to check out the place, he took me for a very nice dinner. I said Italian, and we went to Carrabba's for real Italian. There's the typical soup or salad with the entree, and for a lark, instead of taking the salad and not eating it, I ordered soup. I figured I could pick at it. It was the most wonderful soup I've ever eaten. Chicken Vegetable soup. I practically haunt the place now to get more. But, it got me into soup, particularly vegetable soup.

So, this weekend, I had a pot of cheesy lasagna soup. Not great, but I didn't grind it in the garbage disposal either. In fact, I'm looking forward to having some more for dinner tonight! Gee, I might have to take up vegetable gardening! Well, maybe not, I need a bigger yard first....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love hearing your weather report! 60 degrees today, wow! I am feeling warm at flirting w/40 degrees today & perhaps some rain & thunderstorms! Fascinating 1932 temperatures. And you are making me hungry. Happy New Year!

millionbells said...

I gotta admit I like having decent temperatures too! *wink*