Wednesday, December 21, 2005

More Christmas Trees

My brother, bless him, adores Christmas and winter. He used to play Christmas carols all summer through. Unlike me, his first Christmas, he went out and bought a tree. And artificial tree, mind you. I don't quite remember why he went artificial. Unless it had something to do with keeping it up a significant portion of the year. He alternates now between putting up his artificial tree, and buying a real one.

Artificial trees are nothing new in my family. My uncle has one. Although, his reasons were more about timing. When I was a kid, we moved to the tippy top of New York state. Between the day long drive to get to my uncle's house and the sheer amounts of snow up there, we didn't get down for Christmas. We did get down for Thanksgiving though. And in those ancient days, you couldn't find a tree before Thanksgiving. And trees generally don't last that long anyway.

So, in order to have a Christmas tree for the kids, my uncle got an artificial one. It's a nice tree. Although, he keeps joking that he'd rather have a closet that he could slide it into, so he doesn't have to keep setting it up and tearing it apart each year.