Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Long-Legged Varmin

When I was young, one of my favorite Disney movies was Bambi. (Of course, nothing beat Mary Poppins.) I cried when Bambi's mother was shot. Although, I cry in a lot of movies, so that does not mean much.

But over the years, there has been more and more reasons to not like deer. Like deer ticks and Lyme Disease. Like hopping across the road after staring at my little Neon. Like eating wonderful flowers and plants. Yes, they are a majestic, noble animal. However, like racoons and bears, I'd rather not have them near me. Or my garden.

So, when I went to a party my boss threw several years ago, I was not dismayed to learn that the delicious bar-b-que was made with deer meat. Right now, I actually assist several hunters I work with, by taking meat off of their hands. Leaving them free to go after more deer. It is good meat, too. The one hunter gets nuisance licences. Meaning when the deer are snacking on apples and corn, the local farmers ask him to take care of it. Tasty. The deer around here eat better than the cows.

So, when I saw Bambi and his mother out front yesterday, my first reaction was wanting to know where my hunting friends were. Second was to regret that they didn't use compound bows. After weeks of deer collision caused delays on the highways, and deer crashing into grocery stores, I welcome hunters. Because the local alternative seems to be giving the does a contraceptive that prevents them from going into heat. And that means more randy bucks who begin to think that cars smell in season.

I don't like the thought of over hunting a species. But there are too many deer in this metropolitian area. So, kill with rifle and bow, or kill with car, what kind of choice is that?