Wednesday, October 19, 2005

More Pictures from the Wetlands

I took it easy last night. I only watered the rhizome bed. Need to keep the transplants moist. The squirrels seemed to leave the bed alone for the most part. There was only one hole, and that was at the edge of the garden. The squirrels didn't disturb any of the plants.

Fall has definitely arrived. It was flirting with 80 degrees yesterday afternoon. But this morning, my thermometer read 48 degrees. Brrr. The first frost will probably occur in the next 3 weeks. I'll have to gear up my mulching, if I ever get healthy. It is good news in a way, since a frost will spur the trees along for a nice autumn display. There aren't that many leaves changing around my place. It's still green and lush.




There are just a few scattered leaves that are rushing ahead of the display. And even these have bits of green on them. I found these two on my deck.




But there is one tree trying to put forth a display. Or rather two. The more showy one was in somebody's yard, so I didn't get a picture.






While the leaves might not be showing, that doesn't meant that the trees are that dull.

One-Eyed Maple


And then there are the seed poddlings on this tree.



I'll have to see about getting some more pictures. In the afternoon light. Or at least when it's overcast. Colors photograph better in indirect light. I'd better get out before the birds get the berries.