Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Lawn Mowing Suburbinite

Well, I mowed my lawn for the very first time last night. Now despite living on my own for 5 years, this is the first time I've had a lawn to mow. There were the apartment years and the last two years there was a service that killed anything I dared plant in the ground outside. So, the front yard (21' x 21') was enjoyable. It was also mostly dead from the heat of August.

The backyard was a different story. The back yard, with it's fence and shed involve a bit more manuvering. Not to mention, for some odd reason, it is very lush back there. I think the grass in the high spots was 5 inches. The low spots were clover and hence it was reasonable height. That was a lot of grass to mow. Not to mention learning about the automatic cut off switch on an electric mower when the bag gets full. And the bag got full. At least 5 times. One bag went on top of my other yard waste in my yard waste bin, and the others went in a plastic container I had gotten for a baby turtle vivarium. I just barely made it. And there's still grass in the bag.

But, that was a lot of work. I've got to split the two yards up next time. Not to mention wear my work gloves. My nails are still green from all those grass clippings. And I need to never, ever let the grass get that long again.

Although, I am waiting for spring to buy an edger/weed wacker. I'll borrow a friend's/have a friend do it for me for this last month or so.

But yes, even after all of that, and plotting to kill lots of grass to make gardens, I'm still thrilled to have my own lawn to play with. *snoopy dance*