Friday, September 16, 2005

County Yard

So, I tried to dump some yard waste today, before beginning my trip. Thankfully, I tried before the trip, not during the trip. The yard has posted hours restricted to weekends. Which is odd, that wasn't on the website. I'll have to make a trip to the one in "the city" on Monday. I had been hoping the one out in the middle of nowhere would have been folksy, but restricted hours pretty much mean slim pickings.

I like county yards, as opposed to curbside pick up, because there are wonders to be found. My dad lives less that 5 miles from his township yard. And he's completely transformed his yard on the free pickings. There are a lot of industrial/profession areas in his township and there are a lot of different kinds of plants dumped there. So, he grabs things and sticks them in the ground to see what they are. Well, he did. They've lived there 9 years now, and the yards are full of plants. Although, he does still keep shrinking the amount of lawn he has to mow.

The other nice thing about county yards is the free mulch. I'm going to like to take advantage of that. These poor beds only have old wood chips. If that. And since I'm going to want to kill some grass myself to make bigger gardens, I'll need organic matter. I just wish my yard was big enough for a compost pile. If I had my yard waste bin free, I'd take it with me, but it's full, so I can't. C'est la vie.

Edit: Didn't want to go to stinky old Poolesville anyway. It seems that the mulch in Poolesville isn't at the beautification yard anyway. I'll just have to brave Rockville. But I have to admit that the idea of mulch from Christmas trees is a wonderful idea.

The mulch page