Sunday, February 03, 2008

Banana Bread Oatmeal Beer Bread

Another beautiful day, but the air has a damp cold undertone to it that does not promote being outside.

I tried another beer bread today. I had picked up some more oatmeal from the supermarket, because I do try and eat healthy from time to time. And once again, I was reminded of why there were still many packets of flavored oatmeal in my pantry. I don't really like the concept of oatmeal mush. I like to chew my food.

However, there are oatmeal breads. Which would be a great way to use up all those flavored packets. Especially if Quaker Oatmeal's web page recipes can be believed that instant oatmeal can replace an equal measure of old fashioned oatmeal. Since I just couldn't bring myself to buy blueberries from Chile, that meant using the banana bread flavored oatmeal.

The bananas weren't really ripe enough for bread, but the one I used mashed well. The packets looked to be about a third of a cup, so I replaced a third of a cup of flour for Quaker's Weight Loss Banana Bread Instant Oatmeal. The beer was Samuel Adams Octoberfest. (At least now I know what to do with all the beer my brother doesn't finish after his visits.) About 2/3 inch of beer left in the bottle. A shake more granulated sugar, and some powered sugar on top. A shake or two more flour to make up for the moisture in the banana.

End result: edible. Should have used two or more bananas, since I was going for banana. Maybe more sugar to keep the sweet going. Also leave it wet instead of adding more flour. I think the oats (or instant part of the oats) dried it out some. Although, without the overwhelming banana flavor I was looking for, I can probably eat this with cheese.