Saturday, October 13, 2007

Birdbrains

There was a very confused bird in my yard while I was mowing this morning. It kept being surprised by the fact that I would walk under my deck to empty the bagger on my lawnmower into the compost pile. Once it even flew into my shed. I thought it was finally gone after I finished mowing. I brought out my new swing hammock and rocked for awhile, listening to a woodpecker searching for bugs.

Boy, was I surprised when I went into the house to get something to drink, the bird had flown into the basement! I think it was a catbird, based on the size and color. It was a little small and didn't have the white patches under the wings to be a mockingbird. I managed to manuever around it to chase it back outside. It just sat on my compost pile and called a little bit. I wonder what is wrong with it. I'll put some seed out later.

Meanwhile, earlier in the week, while I was in Home Depot to get some more hardware for my swing hammock, I picked up a pack of double yellow daffodils and a pack of peony-type tulips. I might go back for another pack of daffodils, but I don't really expect the tulips to survive the squirrels. Now, I just have to wait till proper planting time.....

2 comments:

Hollie said...

Have you ever tried this (I've heard of it but I don't plant many bulbs so haven't tried it):
make small open-ended"boxes" out of screening, set them deep in the ground and plant the bulb inside them, then cover the flower bed with more screening.
I don't know how far down squirrels will dig, tho'.
This might get old quick, if you were planting, say, dozens of bulbs!

To keep cats out, I poke bamboo skewers into the ground, an inch or two apart and with an inch or two sticking up, with the pointed end up; I've found this to work quite well against cats. Don't have any squirrels here.

Best wishes,
Hollie

millionbells said...

That might work. But honestly, I'm just a tad over fatalistic about the tulip's survival, because tulips are just that way. That and I'm not going to do a whole ton of work on something that most likely won't naturalize.

And it's not like they are real peonies.....