Wednesday, January 24, 2007

2006 in Review Part 2

Ugh, I always feel like joining my garden in hibernation when the weather turns cold. Why, oh why can't I sleep the winter away? Oh, right, earning money for plants and electric power tools.

One of the things I learned about the postage stamp I call my backyard is that it is recovered wetlands. Yes, you can see the creek and the wild growth area, but I really learned that it is swampy ground. After a rain, the ground squelches. This means I don't have to worry about watering when there's been rain. On the other hand, when there's been a lot of rain, I shouldn't plant anything, since there will be standing water in any hole I dig.

Despite this, there are tons of earthworms living in the dirt. And they love when I put down mulch for them to eat.

The soil is yellow clay. Basically like red clay, only finer and yellow. Whereas red clay colors everything it touches, yellow clay doesn't. But when it is wet, it like you stepped in doggie doo. It is not coming off of those shoes without a garden hose. So, I need to avoid obliterating those ant hills in the yard with my shoes.

The privacy fence shadows at least two feet out from it, instead of full sun, it is partial sun. Drats. Maybe I should drag the exposed hostas down to the foot of the garden and put peonies in their place. But new peonies. I've learned that peonies really do loathe to be moved. Do peonies have short memories? I hope they do, or that they choose to forgive me this year...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Squelches. What a great way to describe it! (I grew up next to a wood with vernal pools... the ground around them squelched, too.)