Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Turkey Wake Up Call

My turtles brumate over the winter. Meaning I enjoy a few weeks of not shoveling food down their voracious throats, it eases my costs a little bit. Other than slowing down in feeding them, I don't do anything different. They dictate when they stop eating and when they start again. It is usually in respect to the change in daylight and that period of time where I cannot convince myself that it really is time to turn the heat on again. My turtles are my companions, so I don't hide them away. They still acknowledge me when they are brumating, but aren't as perky or outgoing. (Yes, yes, yes. I know what you are all thinking, but my preception of my pets is my perception.)

But this weekend, I felt like roasting a turkey. I get this urge every now and again. I want nice cooked turkey to eat for days on end and stuffing. The best stuffing is always made in a turkey, especially using potato bread cubes. So naturally, I attempt to share turkey. And wouldn't you know it? Those little beggers felt that they could "wake up" for turkey. Back on the feeding schedule, I guess.