Friday, December 01, 2006

The Leaf Rakers

Okay, I lost the leaves on my front yard for my garden. In my defense, it was in the interest of community good will. I had delayed for quite some time, and Wednesday night, several little boys rang my door and begged for the opportunity to rake my yard. I thought they were just the little boy from next door and his friends wanting a leaf pile, when I agreed. But they were doing it for cash. It is a downpayment on the future. I don't want to be the mean neighbor lady. Let's face it, I'd rather have the neighborhood kids kindly disposed to me, rather than have them want to key my car and egg my house. It's the same thing that has me handing out candy to kids obviously too old to trick or treat.

I console myself with the fact that it was not a perfect job, nor are all the leaves off the trees, and there are plenty of leaves in my "gutter" in the parking lot. Besides, there are leaves in my backyard too. And let's face it, my grass is greener than either neighbor's. :) Especially the neighbor who fertilized.

1 comment:

Annie in Austin said...

Hi Millionbells,

Is there a chance those kids just want to 'rent' your leaves? All that leaf-pile jumping might act like a shredder, and you could ransom the remnants for another couple of bucks.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose