Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Masked Bandit

My neighbor stopped me the other day and warned me that there was a raccoon in the neighborhood. She was particularly concerned because I put out birdseed so early in the morning. I'm not alarmed, I don't keep my trash outside (I only produce one bag a week.), and if I actually saw a raccoon on my deck, I wouldn't go out. My dad confirmed that there is a raccoon in the area when he walked the dog. He spotted fresh tracks in the mud.

Zeppe and I spotted the toad again yesterday. I think the one in the back yard will be called Perseus, while the one out front is Aggie. This time the toad was sitting in the shade of a dandelion leaf. That dandelion didn't get pulled. Also, no pictures, I'm trying not to harrass this toad with flash photography. There's been a lot of willpower rolls not to pick it up either. I just keep remembering how Aggie cried when I picked her up.

4 comments:

David said...

Never disturb a toad is good old folklore advice.

Anonymous said...

I love that you name your toads--I name mine (& the frogs too). You have creative names for yours. Where I used to live, I had a family of raccoons living in the sewer in front of my house--that family of raccoons lived in the sewer the whole 24 years I was on that street! They are amazing animals.

millionbells said...

Yep, I'm following that folklore advice today. If I'd mow, I'd distrub Perseus who seems to like her little dandelion house. So no mowing!!!

Kasmira said...

I wish I had toads! And I wish I DIDN'T have raccoons! I let the kitties outside on Sat morning and belatedly realized that there was a raccoon in the yard. OF COURSE, they started stalking the creature (who was 3 times their size). It just slowly ambled to the sweet gum and climbed up. It waited hours for the coast to clear and then disappeared. I was relieved not to have any cat-raccoon conflicts.