Thursday, October 26, 2006

Leaf-less

A horrifying sight met my eyes as I pulled into the development last night. The common areas were clear of leaves. That's right, all those nice leaves were cleaned up. And I'm not even talking about being raked up into piles for the neighborhood kids to jump in. I'm talking bagging mower got all of them to be carted off to the county yard clean. :( I tend to leave the leaves alone till they are pretty much all off of the trees, so the kids can play in leaf piles. You've got to play in leaf piles as a kid.

But still, the deed was done. The landscaper's dirty deed. *sigh* Now, I just have to hope there are enough leaves on the trees to yield enough for a pile. (Which is easy to swipe from.) And hope that they are done mowing the grass for the season.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't that annoying? I have several neighbors who seem to be personally offended by having even one leaf on their lawn. One of them (honestly!) goes out and rakes every single morning. The others, who have small kids, have their insanely loud leaf blower running every few days or so. I just don't get it! We have seven shade trees on our lot, so we are covered in leaves, and it's staying that way. My kids don't just have leaf piles, they have leaf mountains :-) And, of course, I have plenty of leaves to compost!

Anonymous said...

Yes, this would bother me too. Not that I relish cleaning up leaves when they pile sky high, but to think there can't be any about for kids to play in or gardeners to use as mulch is maddening. Wish I could send you some of my leaves, they are piling higher than I can manage due to the high winds and stormy weather this weekend.

Carol Michel said...

I think it is actually better if the garden is not kept so tidy and leaf free. I like to leave some leaves around, especially in the flower beds.

When you get a big pile of leaves don't forget that adults, too, can jump into a pile of leaves and have fun, just like kids!