Thursday, August 24, 2006

Brown Grass, Green Grass

So, I went out today and mowed my lawn for the first time in weeks. In my defense, first it was too stinking hot, then my dandelions died. Yep, that's right, it was so hot and dry that even the weeds gave up the ghost. But the weeds and long grass seeds have been staging a comeback, and I had to mow today. At least the front lawn. But I knuckled down and mowed the back as well. Or at least significant portions of the back. There are still areas that have yet to grow since the last trimming. So, I cheated and left them be.

My fancy petunia that survived started blooming and is doing wonderfully. Pictures will follow.

I opened up a new bag of birdseed yesterday. I bit longer than normal, but then I had a lot of stale bread and buns to go through. So, the birds have been glutting on treats. Not that they didn't still fight over sunflower seeds. At least until the squirrel showed up and stuffed them all in his cheeks.

2 comments:

Carol Michel said...

I just mowed the grass, and it is drier than it has been all year in my part of the country. I hope we get some rain soon! I thought there were floods in your area all spring?

millionbells said...

There were. Which is why they are talking about the deficit since the flooding. Rain in spring doesn't help the plants now, except that we don't have watering restrictions.