Thursday, June 29, 2006

Suet

I think I need to get a suet feeder. This morning there was a red-bellied woodpecker sitting on the deck and pecking away at the seed I had out. First off, a wood pecker sitting on a horizontal surface looks silly. And pecking away almost sideways to pick up the seed was even sillier.

But obviously, the suet needs of woodpeckers in my neighborhood are not being met. And that needs to change. Which means a suet cake feeder. The ants will just love me.

My hostas loved all the rain and are blooming. The one little nasturtium has put up a reddish-orange flower, which I haven't been able to photograph well. I'll keep trying. But in the meantime, here are some garden shots from last week, before the rain started. First up is my rearranged birdbath garden.



And the newly extended hosta garden, sans the purple beebalm I just planted.

2 comments:

OldRoses said...

Get a large tube feeder and fill it with a mix that includes nuts. Woodpeckers LOVE nuts. I did this last year and have had two types of woodpeckers, red-bellied and downy, daily ever since. This year I put up a suet feeder. The grackles like it much more than the woodpeckers. I'll get off my soapbox now. I'm "nuts" about birds. I have four different feeding stations, perching, tube, suet and ground to meet the needs of all the tpes of birds in my area.

Beth said...

I agree with oldroses, I have been putting up suet for the past several weeks and initially the redbelly & downy woodpeckers had free run of it, but the grackles moved in and now the woodpeckers don't even try to get to it. I hadn't thought about the nuts, I'll try this to see how that works. The grackles were eating one suet cake each day! Good luck. Elizabeth