Thursday, June 08, 2006

Previous Tenants

Well, it's been a rough week precipitation-wise. Oh, the beautiful sunny days are a real pleasure, but we're almost at a six inch rain deficit. They are starting to talk about D-R-A-U-G-H-T. Yuck! And then we hear about poor New England getting hit with a highly unseasonable storm that drenches them yet again. :(

But the sunshine is good for taking pictures. Here are two of the plants that are blooming in my yard at the moment. First is this groundcover under the rhododendrons. I should know the name of the groundcover, but it is escaping me at the moment.





Then out by the shed are these yellow flowers, which I just don't know the name to.



While I was photographing the yellow flowers, I notice something black under one of the leaves. It was a little moth. Someone has since identified it as a grape leaffolder moth. The photo does not do it justice. There was also bright blue lines on the wings. The weird thing is I just had a little grape vine sprout by my front step.

5 comments:

pdxJules said...

Hi there,

1) you may have already figured this out, but the first photo with soft variagation and purple flower, is of one of the more desirable lamiums. It is great as a low border edge for a mixed mass border, whether along grass or a hard edge like a sidewalk. I have some that also flowers in white; and both are from Swaps with BarbE on GardenWeb. It's really easy yo pull a section for a new spot. I grow it successfully in AM sun/part shade.

2) I could be wrong, but your Yellow flower looks like a Primrose. They get much taller in the Pacific NW...and IMO are one of the prettiest thug invasives around.

Very pretty Moth. Thanx for sharing your photo's!

Jes said...

I have those yellow flowers in my garden too. I have no idea how they got there, but that's true of most of the garden I inherited. They sure are pretty, for now ;)

millionbells said...

Thanks, I knew I knew the name to that groundcover!

Alice said...

Yes, that's a lovely Lamium. Did you know there are at least 3 other varieties with differently marked leaves, and have white, yellow or mauve flowers. I think they are wonderful - cover the ground so well but not intrusive.

Jenn said...

The yellow flowers are 'sundrops,' an oenothera species. Oenothera tetragona.

The are very weedy, and will spread like wildfire if you let them. They are also very hardy and do well in pots (overwintering in plastic pots in zone five.)

I really like them, but I keep them potted up.