Monday, May 29, 2006

Tropical Breezes

No, I didn't fall off the world, I just went on vacation. For Christmas, my brother and I got my mother a trip to go see her little brother in Florida. It's been 12-14 years since she last saw him. Since she was a little apprehensious about going on her own, I eventually agreed to go with her. I haven't seen this uncle in over 20 years, and had never met his wife. So, I was a little overdue.

It was a wonderful trip. Florida is gorgeous. We visited Central Florida and rambled through the palm and pine scrublands. You never think of large cattle ranches in Florida, but they were all around. It was a little far north for citrus, since they do get freezes in winter. But we did see a small grove that my uncle's brother-in-law has in his yard.

I am totally envious, though. All those beautiful tropical plants that my aunt grows in her yard! I got plenty of pictures of those and the ones around the extension center where she volunteers. She's a Master Gardener as well! I might have to get around to taking those classes one of these years. At least when I can find the time to volunteer as well....

The most shocking thing is that the 80+ temperatures down there didn't faze me all that much, while I positively wilted while mowing my lawn tonight. I'm still sweating. Then again, there actually was a breeze down there.

Pictures of Florida and my father's yard will follow, when I have time to get around editing and labeling the 250 pictures. At least most of them came out, even if I can't remember all the names. *blush*