Thursday, May 04, 2006

Drips and Drabs

Last night I gave up on the seedlings that did not sprout. I took most of the failed seeds out. The results:

sunflowers: 4 plants out of 10 seeds
butterfly weed: 8 plants out of 10 seeds (one planted in garden already eaten)
beebalm: 7 plants out of 10 seeds
nasturtium: 6 plants out of 10 seeds
dwarf morning glories: 3 plants out of 10 seeds
cosmos: 0 for 10

The cosmos were an older seed pack, so I'm not as upset about the loss. I meant to plant them last year, then was notified that I had to move, so they never got planted. I might directly seed the rest into the garden, because I do not expect good results. I replanted 5 sunflower seeds, 3 nasturtiums of a different variety, 6 dwarf morning glories and 10 petunias in addition to the 8 earlier in the week. I'm letting the butterfly weed and the beebalm get a little more growth before I move them out of the starting tray.

My hummingbird feeder seems to be seeing activity. I didn't get one of the no drip models, but drip seems to have increased dramatically, which I am taking as an indication that a hummingbird is using it, rather than the rest of the birds or squirrels are bumping it repeatedly. But that gives the ants and wasps and bees some sugar water to drink on the deck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon! I had your cosmos experience with my creeping thyme seeds: No germination, but they were so old that I wasn't even disappointed. Thanks for saving my WS butterfly weed, by the way. I was thinking last night that they were big enough to plant out, but hadn't even considered that they might need to be protected for a while yet so they're not lunch.