Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Beebalm

From the Want List:

I came into beebalm sideways. I needed a last name for a cute little character I was playing (Lurikeen in DAoC). And she was a general healer type. Running through themes of herbs I knew, I stumbled across beebalm, and it worked. So, when I found out it was a real plant, and a hummingbird and butterfly plant no less, I was hooked. It seemed even more perfect when I found out it was red. (The character was a red head.)

Beebalm or monarda is a grasslands plant native to North Americal. Like the other members of the mint family, it sends tiny seeds airborn, and the rhisomes creep, fiercely. Lots of care should be taken to keep it under control. Which is why I am planting it in the interior of my gardens, not along my neighbor's fences.

It is also called Oswego Tea. Traditionally, the leaves are brewed to make a tea with a mint flavor. Simmer for 10 minutes to bring out the flavor.

3 comments:

Dirty Fingernails said...

I have 3 different colors of BeeBalm.. Red, Hot Pink and I planted white this year and am axiously awating it's arrival!! I love beebalm, the unusualness of the blooms are perfect for my quirkiness. I also like they spread fast.. One more thing I love is the smell of it's crushed leaves... Enjoy yours

millionbells said...

That's wonderful. My seeds are one of the mix varieties, so I'll just have to wait to see which ones came up!

Christa said...

I love beebalm, too. It's one of the plants on my wish list! That's intersting to know it can be used to make tea.

Enjoy!