Thursday, March 16, 2006

Dry Winds

It has been dry, very dry the past month. Since the big snowstorm on the 12th, there has been only 0.27 inches of precipitation. That's just a hair over a quarter inch! Yikes! No wonder my skin is all dry and sore! Between the heat and the anti-histamines, because yes, the oaks are pollinating right on schedule. It's sad, when you don't want the snow storm during morning rush hour to fizzle, because we despirately need the moisture. Thankfully, there will be rain in the overnight as well.

When I say we despirately need the moisture, I mean it. There have been brush fires nearly every day this week in the region. The region is ripe for fires. There were two big ones yesterday, one wherehistoric landmarks were destroyed, as well as a large roadside brushfire that snarled traffic. I hope there's a good soaking rain in our future.

Aside from that, I brought in four daffodils yesterday that the wind had knocked over. Three are blooming away, the fourth was a bud.

I watered my peonies last night. They're all sprouting. They made it through the winter. Although, with how mild this winter has been, it isn't that big a surprise. I'm going to see about getting them out of the pots and into the ground this weekend. At the very least, the plan is to buy compost to ammend the bed. They're talking below normal temperatures. :( I thought it was early summer!