Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Skygazing

One of the nice things about my new neighborhood is that I can see the stars at night. Aa anyone who has had to deal with the orange glow of city light pollution will tell you, that is a very special thing. I'm not sure why it is that dramatically different than 5 miles away at the old place, where I was lucky to see Orion if it was very clear. But it is. No nasty orange glow. Maybe the state park filters out the worst of it. All I know, is that I have a beautiful night's sky to watch.

Which of course sends one scurrying for a sky map. All of these "new" constellations to identify and even if you do remember those, there are the planets to identify! Your Sky has great sky maps. It customizes the maps for location and time. Which certainly helps with setting and rising stars. And if you don't know your longitude and latitude and happen to live close enough to a city, it will let you pick a nearby city to search under.