Saturday, February 18, 2006

The Great Backyard Bird Count

Well, this weekend is the Great Backyard Bird Count. I'm not a good bird identifier, but I thought I'd take a peep. The bird seed was put out last night, so I wouldn't disturb the birds when I woke. It was a little rough going, since the hawks in the park have been enjoying the thermals the past couple days. There were at least two of them circling today. It keeps the little birds in the trees at the back, instead of at the feeders. But then again, my binoculars can focus on the trees, and not on the deck.

The excitement, the blue jays ran off 4 "black" birds, probably grackles. I spotted the little junco clown from December's snows, and his buddy. There has been this "tiny fairy-like chick-a-dee" type bird I've been seeing the past week was. I got a good look and he was blue! What was also cool, was 4 female cardinals in my yard at once, three of them on my deck! The one on the bird feeder was defending her "territory"! I spotted a robin in the trees! They stick around and don't migrate, but they become secretive berry feeders in winter.

Sightings:

resident flock of 20-40 assorted sparrows
2 hawks (type unknown)
4 grackles (?)
4 female cardinals and just 1 male
resident flock of 6-12 blue jays
1 red breasted robin
2 juncos
1 male blue type bird
2 of the 3 resident doves
1 woodpecker that didn't stick around long enough to get seen through the binoculars and identified. Red on head.
possible titmouse sighting, but he wouldn't stick around for the binoculars either

I also need to get a stepstool for the bathroom. The bathroom overlooking the backyard has curtains that just go across the middle, so I generally peep out there. But it's just a little too high, so I end up standing on tiptoes the entire time. This isn't a bad thing for a minute or two, but I spent a lot longer than that this morning. I'm trying to walk out foot cramps now.

No comments: