Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Birding Glare

Over the weekend, I discovered that it really needs to be an overcast day to properly birdwatch. Oh, I can see birds in full sun, but the colors are so washed out, that they are hard to identify. Even the blue jays. It might be easier when the leaves are on the trees, but I somehow doubt it. That's full sun exposure back there. Saturday was a beautifully overcast day, so I was able to spend hours peering at the birds. Sunday with it's harsh sun, hurt my eyes.

I also notice that the birds aren't eating all the seed of late. They're leaving some of the thistle seed till the next day. Which is decidedly odd. Maybe the neighbor is putting more seed out.

Or maybe it's a good idea that I made a mistake at the grocery store last night. Tomorrow I'll run out of seed again, so I picked up a 7 pound bag. But I wasn't paying attention, this is the mix with guarenteed 60% sunflower seeds. Maybe the birds will like this better.